SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

Family



A touchy subject for some but I thought I’d take a look at it. My family is nowhere near normal, my parents are lesbians, I’m Jewish, my little sister isn’t even related to me and my non-related “family” feel more like my family then my “real” family does. Crazy right?



I used to live in Joburg for most of my early years, until I was about 9 so the phase of life that would really determine what kind of person I am was spent with my “other mothers” family. They never treated me like an outsider; I was considered part of the family; I was treated like a blood relative, they protected me, loved me and cared for me as if I was their own. They taught me life lessons I could never have learned anywhere else so for that I am thankful to every single one of them, my true family.



Don’t get me wrong, I love my real family, whether connected through blood or marriage, I love them but it doesn’t feel the same. I grew up around a family based on love, understanding and patience, and the transition was hard, to go from that surrounding of love to one where you’re only really noticed for things you’ve done, can do, or accomplished.



I know they love me, and try to understand me and make me feel like part of the family but it doesn’t work out well, and I can see it’s foreign for them. I’m also in my hormonal, moody teenage years, discovering who I am and all the nonsense so I cant be making it very easy for them to understand me and I guess I don’t try very hard either. That could be my goal for this year; try and be part of the family. It’s still hard though going from one type of family, to the complete opposite, where you know that you’re loved; it’s just not shown often enough.



I still miss my “real” family, that’s a love that could never be replaced. It just goes to show that family doesn’t have to be blood related, it’s the people who love you unconditionally and always stick by you even in your darkest hours.



Hannah

2 comments:

  1. I have always maintained that family are those with whom you form BONDS...it does not matter whether you are genetically linked or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We find it very interesting though, that young Hannah (13) has a stronger bond with her non-biological mother's family than she does with her biological family.

    ReplyDelete