SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

DJ Cheeky Cherry Bares All!



According to P!nk, God is a DJ and life is a dancefloor. And if that’s true, then this DJ is a Goddess. We meet up with DJ Cheeky Cherry to chat about her love for the decks and entertaining the crowd, how she got to where she is now and being a Cheeky Cherry!
·         Tell us a bit about yourself
I’m a Female DJ focused on the gay market, I love music, I am a very down to earth person at home but when I get behind the decks my cheeky side appears.  I love all kinds of music but my favourite is old school. I love to kick back with friends and Party.

·         When did you decide that you wanted to be a DJ?
The First time I went to a gay club, I was about 16 years old and the DJ just played his heart out with so much passion, he had the crowd at his feet and then I said to myself: “Self, I also want to do that” It’s a weird burning feeling inside of one, It’s something you just know….


·         How did you get into it?
I played on Virtual DJ for about 3 years , mixing and matching so I was a Laptop DJ, then Lindi Lush established Fabulush DJ School, I actually won my Beginners course. The aim of the competition was whoever comes up with the best pickup line, mine was “Do you have a mirror in your pants?  Because I can see myself in it.” See what I mean about the Cheeky side… and from there on my DJ career took off with a bang.

·         What’s your favourite part of being a DJ?
The Crowd, I just love making people dance and seeing the happiness on their faces and also to be able to express my genre.

·         What kind of venues do you cater for?
I am a Jill of all trades, big venues, small venues, 21st parties, weddings, birthdays. I can cater from Old school rock & roll to new age Hip Hop.

·         What’s your favourite venue to DJ at?
At this moment I must say its Club54, the dance floor looks like a real dungeon scene, the sound quality is immaculate, the venue is clean and the people are very friendly.

·         Who inspires you?
The Man upstairs is my number one! Oh Bad DJ’s and I get my inspiration from various people in my life. Music influences I would say is David Guetta , Tiesto, Avicci and the list can go on.

·         Favourite song and artist?
At this moment it’s Jealousy by Will Young working on a remix so watch this space….

·         How does being in the spotlight affect your relationships?
Oh my word! It has had its effects and stating that I am single now for almost a year, the thing about being in the spotlight requires us to be friendly to our fans, late nights and days away from home and if you don’t have a strong relationship and trust then it won’t last, its priceless to have the love of your life supporting you as a DJ.

·         How does being a lesbian affect your bookings?
I get more bookings, it’s probably the girl on girl action that attracts the straight clubs but in general Female DJ’s are very rare so TGIF! (Thank God I’m Female)



·         Any advice for aspiring DJ’s out there?
Not everyone is built to be a DJ, there is a lot more involved then by pushing a couple of buttons and shaking your crazy ass. If you can feel the music burning inside you when you listen to a track, when you can read a crowd, pose for photos, drink tequila and listen to a track in your headphones while mixing it with the current one playing ALL AT ONCE, I’d say you’ve got talent. Always remember Practice makes Perfect!

·         Where can our readers go check you out?
I have a Facebook account called DJ Cheeky Cherry. You can also catch me on BBM 27B39E0E or drop me a mail cheekycherry@webmail.co.za .



·         What can we expect from you in 2012? Any exciting news or something to look forward to?
Oh yes along with my gigs and parties I am proud to say that L’Fusion Eventz is back, and this year will be filled with ladies and men’s events, productions, parties. There are a lot of new things to look forward to but I don’t want to ruin the surprise now…


To get in touch with DJ Cheeky Cherry contact The Modern Talent Network. You can also catch her at future L’Fusion Eventz and check her out right here on The Modern L in upcoming articles and photoshoots.

Interviewed by: Miss Jones
Photography: Kris Venter & Jay Alan
Artwork, Layout & Design: Trudie Nel & Miss Jones

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post. Thanks ladies.
    No mention of upcoming events for Jan?
    Where can we listen to some of Cheecky's mixes online?

    Best wishes for 2012 :)
    The beginning, not the end.

    In love and light
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://soundcloud.com/cheekycherry 5FM Ultimix Blast2thePast

    Cheeky Cherry @ Club54 in Krugersdorp 4 Feb FOAM PARTY

    x0x0
    Cheeky Cherry

    ReplyDelete