SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

The Dangers of the Cyber World


Due to our blog, girls came to me with the story that they got played. I started having a conversation with them and the one girl, *Sonja, told me her story:

It's been a year now that I am chatting to *Monique, we met on Mxit and automatically clicked on the cyber world. She told me about her life and I have come to trust her. Her Facebook photo checked out and her photo's had the same face in all of them. I wasn't to worried anymore as Monique would phone and text me, we sent emails to one another and became good friends and we started flirting a bit. A couple of months later I asked her to meet me, we made plans to meet at a mall not too far from where she stays. The night before the meeting she told me she was in South Africa because she ran away from her strict dad and brother, to find someone she was looking for and that we can't meet the next day as her father was at the airport to come talk to her. I felt sorry for her, she's young and would be in so much trouble with her dad, so I told her it's ok we can meet some other time. She stalled our meetings for another two to three months as her dad didn't want her out of his sight.

One day het cousin *Jason rocked up at my work, introducing himself and saying she has sent me a gift. Later that day she phoned me to confirm that I have received the gift. Jason backed up all of Monique's stories, he even showed me more pictures of her. Because I liked Monique, I started hanging out with Jason more often and became really good friends.

Next thing I knew the unexpected happened, Monique had to go back to *England, because she had business to attend to. Some days later she was hospitalized and even mailed me photo's of her there. Due to her hospitalization, she couldn't fly back. The next two times she was also suppose to fly back to South Africa she had some excuse. Jason also gave me hope when all I wanted to do was forget about her. In the meantime Jason had penetrated himself into my life and my family and even my workspace. I shared secrets with him as he was a gentleman and a good friend who didn't judge me for being gay or even try to get into my pants. About seven months passed and I was to find out, Monique does not exist and Jason was the mastermind. He confessed everything. He said he got tangled in a web and tried to get out but it wasn't easy. The sad thing is that I am not the only girl who went through this. These girls came forward as well and everyone received the same gifts and photo's as well as stories.

As I am having this conversation with these girls as well as *Cindy, I realize what a threat the cyber world is. not everyone walks away with a broken and broken trust, some people's lives are in danger because of con artist. Jason has these girl's addresses, know where they work and even have their bank accounts. It could have been much worse if Jason had other motives for it.

If you or someone you know have been a victim of something similar please email us at themodernlinfo@gmail.com as we would like to make people aware of the dangers out there.

*Names in this article have been changed due to confidentiality reasons.

- Article written by Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment