SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

When love takes over


So most of you have read our article, Next stop…HAPPINESS and we left you wondering what else happened on our journey to Cape Town. Now, the readers that follow this website and the articles I write, know that I usually write generic articles, report on current affairs and go out partying in my column, Social Butterfly. So this is something as new to me as it is to you, this is me exposing myself, my private life, in my most honest work to date…let’s see what happens…


The roadtrip took a bit of an unexpected turn before we even set foot in the car. You see, only 3 of us were supposed to go. But seeing as we spent every single weekend since PGF in each other’s company, it was only natural that I invited Sluticia along for the trip. I’d gotten into such a routine with Nikki and Sluticia, that leaving one of them behind, would be like packing to go on vacation and deliberately not packing shoes or a toothbrush.


The first sign of me being in serious trouble reared its head on the first night. “It’s cold, you better cuddle me…” This was not an unusual request, because as friends we did this all the time. My bbm contact list can testify to this, as usually on a Saturday or Sunday morning I post pictures with the caption, “who’s in my bed”. But this time it felt just a little different, a little too good, and the first butterflies made their presence felt.

The next day at the photoshoot, things also took a bit of a sharp turn. Our Cape Town photographer, Jay, has a habit of taking photos in between setups and captures unscripted moments and snaps away while no one’s taking notice. Also, while in edit, she’ll see things we’re oblivious to at the time and highlight them. It is these photographs, that I only saw afterwards, that made me realise that maybe I’d been blind all along.



Then we went to Simonstown for sightseeing and lunch with my family. Now ladies let me tell you, if you’re walking down a pier, hand in hand, towards the crashing waves, with someone that makes your heart race as the ocean breeze gives you a gentle nudge in the right direction, there’s nothing that can make you crave to be with her more!


The next day I had a business meeting to discuss the future of The Modern L. While I was doing this, she decided it would be a good idea to discuss what was in her head and heart with my niece.  I was unaware of this conversation until the drive home. After the meeting, we decided to tour the Cape Winelands. A truly amazing experience, I have to admit. And of course we had to take lots of photos for our BIG roadtrip scrapbook and in one of those pictures we were told to kiss. My heart stopped and started racing again when this lasted just a little longer than initially anticipated.



After the wine farm, it was time for family dinner, and for the first time in my life, I was glad to be locked out of the house. We waited in the car (it was a typical cold rainy Cape Town winter’s day). I’m not sure if the bubbles in the bubbly at the wine estate went to our heads or if it was sheer boredom, but all of a sudden we became brave and the allure of the forbidden fruit became just a bit too much for both of us to handle. Time stood still as we shared our first “for real, we mean it” kiss and in that moment, all the dreams I never knew I could have, came true.


Later that evening I jokingly told my niece to tell her to date me, which she did, and the reply I got was to ask her properly. Also, later in the car on our way home, I had a heart to heart with my niece and for a 13 year old, she’s very wise and insightful. “You should stop kidding around and joking with her all the time, she doesn’t know when to take you seriously! A blind person can see she likes you, a lot, so don’t mess it up!” It was during this conversation that I found out about the conversation between the two of them.


When we eventually arrived in Jo’burg, we dropped the rest of the crew off, got some take-out and went to my house. I took my time unpacking and getting organised because I needed to gather the courage to ask her to stay…she did, and since then, we haven’t spent an evening apart. And maybe, just maybe…we’ll live happily ever after!



Written by: Miss Jones
Photography by: Jay Alan (Jay Productions)

4 comments:

  1. That so awesome, I wish for you guys nothing but that you live happily for ever and ever. That is the most romantic thing I have read in a very long time and that is real true love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the feedback! We appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this... A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw i absolutely love this. A real lesbian fairytale and no one deserves it more than you. I'm so so so happy now. Pinky. XOXO

    ReplyDelete