SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

Social Butterfly – Henry Ate Live @ The Barnyard


“Hey mister in that skirt could you be giving me directions? I’m trying to find a place where I’d be guaranteed to lose my mind, by the looks of it you’ve been there a few times…” And we found that place last night at the Barnyard Theatre in Menlyn park shopping centre when we went to go see Karma Ann Swanepoel and Julian Sun of Henry Ate for an acoustic version of the hits that put them at the top of our all-time favourites list.

After a hectic weekend, the ambience of the Barnyard and the soothing voices of Karma and Julian was just what the doctor ordered. It’s been about four years since I last saw Karma in action, and I have to admit that I missed seeing Henry Ate live and regret taking the experience for granted years ago when all I had to do was pop into Roxy’s on a weekend and the chances were good that Henry Ate was on the bill.

The duo wowed us with acoustic renditions of their hits such as Just, Hey Mister, Tuesday Afternoon, One day  soon, and ended the show with the mesmerising Waves of Salt. Karma also sang songs written with her new band, The Edison Project, like Ethel Jones and Monster.

What I enjoyed the most about the evening was the stories Karma told about how some of the Albums were born and the meaning behind some of the songs they sang as well as the intercontinental collaboration the two have got going and how well it works despite the distance. Karma poking fun of and making jokes with Julian was also highly entertaining. Many fans of the band would agree that this was a rare treat as we’ve hardly ever experienced this before.

Another highlight of the evening was being called on stage and winning four of their albums. Yes, I already own all of them, and no, for those of you who were there, my name is NOT Martha Welman, but that’s another story for another day!

The Butterfly Chart:

Modern L’s song of the evening: “Seconds Count”
Venue: cccc
Performance:  ccccc
Vibe: cccc
Crowd: ccc
Bar: cc

“Henry ate his way to the moon, come back soon, Henry I’m missing you!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment