SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

I fought brain cancer



Dominique Kruger was born on December 14, 1984 she currently resides in Pretoria South Africa. The first time I met her I knew not only was she special but she was a fighter.  Not the type who will abuse her girl or fight in a sticky situation I‘m talking about a fighter of life. I wanted to do an interview with her so I asked her the questions I thought appropriate, but soon I realized that her answers to questions was not only incomplete but they serve a higher purpose. Listed below is the questions I asked:


  1. At what age were you diagnosed with cancer?

    2. What type of cancer did you get diagnosed with?

    3. How did you react on this news?

    4. Who supported you in this time period?

    5. How did the cancer change your life?

    6. When did they tell you, you have been cured?

    7. How many operations did you have and what type?

    8. How did you feel when they said you are better?

    9. Not everyone can pick up their lives after such an ordeal how did you do it?

    10. Are you healthy now and do you still get headaches?


But this was the answer she gave me:

There are few things I don’t remember:  Like the name of the tumor, its just one huge name. Found out about it in 2006 I think was 21 at the time. I went to the doctor and he did a scan, said it was a tumor. So I went in a few days later, they cut the bump out and we gave it a few months. Next thing we know, it grew back like an octopus's tentacles and spread. When I found out at first I didn’t think much of it. But my family was worried. I went for the big operation and while under it the doctor turned my scalp around the other way, becuase there was cancer on bit of it. They cut my left nerve out above my left eye, they took my skull out; it nearly reached my brain. Then he cut this big piece of skin off my left thigh to cover what couldn’t be covered at the back of my head. That took bout another few months to cut it rite and get my eye brow lifted when the skin had settled rite. Had one or two small operations after the big one I was all done by age of 23 and then had to get a plate put in ,that took few months again but got the op done after all that with screws in lol. Get the joke bout having a screw loose every now n then lol. But I can laugh bout it. I found out I was all clear last year sometime. Still get small head aches but mainly cold from the screws they put in. But I had my family and friends at my side all the way. I just didn’t really let it get me down. I just pushed through and got back up. Took me a year or so but I have a job now and don’t think bout it at all. It did hit me at 1 stage last year but I got over it. No use in crying over it. Just got to be strong and keep your head up n be positive all the way through and move on. It got me seeing that life can be very short and it’s not as we make it sometimes. So I take each day as it comes and go with the flow of things everyday. I would never be where I am right now talking to people at work and customers and feeling confident if I didn’t push myself out my closet n go with the flow. Took some time but I got there and loving life now.

Not only is she an inspiration she is a lot of fun to be around, she makes endless jokes and enjoy life to the fullest.

Dominique from the modern l team we would just like to say we are proud of you, thank you for being an inspiration and to give hope when the light at the end of the tunnel may seem far for people who are combating this disease.

                                                                                           Written by: Martha Mienie

2 comments:

  1. no doubt she is a wonderful, compassionate, loving, fighter. She is my daughter and i must be the proudest mother in the world, she picked herself up and carried on with life as tho she had never suffered the way she did. she is most certainly an inspiration to others suffering from cancer, always believe in urself and accept the support from those that offer it and believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel, Dominque did and she is here to tell her story, she is my LITTLE IRON MAIDEN, and i love her to the stars and back again. if u would like to see the operation follow this link, her doctor took pics while he was busy. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1007824592359.2001.1127273013&l=2aee9eeec8

    ReplyDelete