SEPTEMBER 2012

THE SPRING FEVER ISSUE

Kera Untamed Tattoo Studio: Interview with a tattoo artist

 Today we have an interview with a female tattoo artist....

We have asked her a few questions, which she answered with passion. let's see what she said: 

1. How old were you when you decided to become a tattoo artist and what inspired you?
From about the age of 13, I’ve been interested in tattooing and the tattoo lifestyle. I never took to the academic side of school, I concentrated on my art,
it was the only thing that made me happy. It was just a bit limited and that’s where tattoos grabbed my attention. It was an awesome way to express
yourself and wear it proudly!


2. On a scale 1 to 10, 1 being your lowest how cool would you rate your job to be?
 10 definitely! It never gets boring or tedious! Every tattoo on every client is different and interesting to do.

3. Tattoo artistry throughout history was always male dominant how do you find the competition between male and female tattoo artists?
 It’s difficult to prove yourself as a female artist still, but it is getting better. I do think female tattoo artists have an upper hand when it comes to
patience, a gentler touch or for comfort while getting tattooed. 

4. How did you become a tattoo artist as there are so many people out there who don't have a clue on where to start?
It is still very difficult to get into. I apprenticed in Durban. You have to put a mean portfolio together and approach tattoo studios.
It’s difficult and long and pay is low or nothing at all and you start right at the bottom with cleaning. But if it is a passion then you make a plan.

5. Describe a normal working day for Kera?
 Hmmmm, I get to at least sleep in a bit till 9 or 10. Woohoo! The day consists of whatever music I feel like, awesome clients to deal with and 
otherwise I sit and do customer designs for clients that have requested it. There isn’t an unpleasant aspect of the job because I’m doing everything I love...
unless you get a rude client, but that you get everywhere! The in betweens consist of cleaning and sterilizing everything every time for every client.

6. How do your friends see you and how often do they want your ink?
 Some don’t treat me any different. But you do get the few that seem to introduce you with your job title and want to talk about tattoos even at parties.
And they expect discount because they your "best buddy". Good friends of mine get tattooed pretty often but they pay like any regular client. Otherwise I trade
from time to time. 

7. In today’s society how do you see the LGBT lifestyle do you think it improved allot since the 1900's and do you think more people are coming out?
 It has improved some what, but I think some people take it overboard and throw it in everyone’s face. We want to be treated equal, and then we should act that way!

8. Your favorite drink alcoholic and non alcoholic?
I’m not a big drinker, but I do enjoy Whiskey and monster. Otherwise, I’m addicted to Coca Cola.

9. Your favorite food dish?
 Pasta

10. Your ultimate most fave band or artist?
 At the moment it is "Fly Leaf".

11. DVDs, pizza and wine or a good night out on the town?
 DVDs, pizza and coca cola definitely, and PS3 of course!

12. What is your favorite style of tattooing?
 I mostly enjoy black and grey detailed shaded pieces. But generally I love all styles.

13. How long now are you in the art?
 This will be my 4th year.






14. If anyone wants to get inked by you how can they get into contact?
 Cell 072 831 0421
email kera_tribe@live.co.za
 


Interviewed by Mart





No comments:

Post a Comment